Our values go beyond just a storefront, they are representative of who we are outside of this business. It’s important to us that we use the shop as a way to stand up for what’s right, and spread love and respect within our community here in Seattle and beyond.
We strive to build lasting relationships with our customers and it really is one of the most rewarding parts of owning and working for a small business. When our regulars stop by just to chat, or we have conversations with someone who is visiting from out of town, it reminds us of the reason we opened this shop to begin with.
Everyone - every race and every gender - is welcome in our store. We strive to create a welcoming, accepting, and anti-racist environment. When you walk through the door, we hope it feels like home.
Up until June 2020, we were sympathetic but action-less in the fight against racism. Following the death of George Floyd, we, like many white Americans, were impacted greatly. We reflected on how our lack of actions affect BIPOC+ people in our community. We listened to our Black brothers + sisters and observed what areas of our business needed to change. We have made and will continue to make distinguished efforts to be more representative of BIPOC+ brands in-store and online:
- Expanding our brand selection to include more minority-owned businesses
- Diversifying the models we work with to better represent all races on our social media channels
- Incorporating BIPOC+ into our monthly artist rotation
- Disassociating our company from brands and representatives that have not made similar commitments
We will continue to find ways to use our platform to amplify Black voices. We are always open to your feedback on ways we can continue to fight for equality. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please never hesitate to reach out to us directly.
Supporting organizations we believe in that are striving to do the right thing is something that is, and always will be very important to us. As we’ve grown as a store, we continue to learn about issues and organizations that reflect our values. Below are just a handful of organizations we have worked with or donated to in the past. Please check them out!
- Washington Trails Association - Black Friday 2016, 2017, 2018: WTA helps maintain our beautiful hiking trails and offers guidance and information on how everyone can get outside and enjoy Washington’s vast trail network. They also have an amazing website where users can rate hikes and post trip reports.
- Seattle Humane - Black Friday 2019: The Seattle Humane rescues pets in need and connects them with their perfect forever homes. On Black Friday 2019, we not only donated a percentage of sales, but also hosted a pet adoption event at the store.
- One Tree Planted - Earth Day 2019: Planting trees in countries around the world, every dollar donated is one tree is planted.
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Washington - July 2020: With a focus on social justice for all, the ACLU of Washington works in our state’s legislatures and communities to defend the rights guaranteed to all people in this country.
- Black Voters Matter Fund - August-October 2020: The BVMF is dedicated to expanding Black voter turnout in primary and general elections across the country. They tour US cities not commonly visited by candidates, and focus on areas where a higher percentage of Black voters live. By listening to the concerns of each community, the BVMF gradually works to assure Black voters the value of their voices.
Lowering our impact on the Earth
We understand that the fashion industry is not the most eco-conscious industry to work in, which is why we try everyday to reverse our effect as much as possible.
Fast fashion is one of the biggest issues in the clothing business, and it’s why we choose to carry clothing made by smaller brands who focus on sustainability, donating percentages of their own profits to help reduce impact, and create clothing that is more “season-less” so that consumers get more wear out of their clothing. Focusing on brands who share these values may result in higher price points, but when clothing is made to last, the cost per wear is actually lower.
Other ways we are acting to reduce our impact:
- Offering email + text receipt options in-store
- Shopping bags made from 100% post-consumer content
- Using 100% compostable or recyclable shipping materials:
- Compostable mailers
- Compostable packing tape
- Tissue paper that is either compostable or made from post-consumer materials
- Compostable ‘Thank You For Your Order’ cards
- Recyclable boxes
- Bio-degradable bubble wrap
- Bio-degradable packing peanuts
Carrying brands that reflect these values
It’s easy to fill a store with beautiful things and for a brand to create fashionable or useful products, but it says a lot more when they’re aware of what message they’re presenting to the world. Many of our brands offer a combination of the following values:
- Small Business
- Made in USA
- Donates to like-minded charities/organizations
- Ships products in compostable/biodegradable packaging
- Is thoughtful with their materials and fabrics (i.e. organic cotton, polyester made from recycled water bottles, etc.)
- Creates pieces that are built to last
- Made in Fair-Trade Certified Factories
We appreciate that you’ve taken the time to learn more about our store. We also value transparency, so if you have any suggestions, comments or ideas for us, please feel free to send us an e-mail.